[OE-core] Buildhistory in action

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Jan 19 16:22:59 UTC 2012

On Thursday 19 January 2012 10:06:24 Mark Hatle wrote:
> Does the build history due any scanning of either package or shared library
> dependencies?

For packages, it relies on the output of do_package, however this includes the
final value of RDEPENDS which is influenced by shared library dependencies.

> I hit a case recently working on a custom layer, where everything built
> properly, I made a few changes and I happened to notice by accident that it
> was no longer linking to the shared library, but instead the static
> library.  This changed both the package (runtime) dependencies and the
> shared library usage in the problem... the resulting binary suddenly jumped
> in size as well.

If the runtime package dependency doesn't change as a result then we wouldn't
notice the change the way it currently works; however for this specific issue
it did so we would have. We would also have picked up the jump in package size
if it was over a specified threshold (currently 20%, it's possible this value
may need some tweaking).

Cheers,
Paul

--