[OE-core] bitbake.lock?

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Mon Jan 23 22:31:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> I've noticed that recent versions of bitbake leave this file
> in the build directory.
>
> What is it for & why is it left around?

It's used to ensure only one bitbake runs against a given build
directory at a time. I'm not sure why it's left around, it seems like
some of the ways in which bitbake exits don't result in a cleanup. I'm
sure Richard would know for sure.

Just as an FYI, it does check the pid stored there against the running
processes, so if it errors out indicating there's a second bitbake
running, there really is, even if you don't know it. Could have a
remnant process from a previous build, depending on how it exited,
I've noticed. Particularly hitting the parse error hang issue can
result in remnant processes hanging around monopolizing the build dir.
kill is our friend in those cases. I just wanted to note this to
ensure that no one physically removes the .lock when encountering the
error.
--
Christopher Larson