[OE-core] CMake error? CMAKE_AR-NOTFOUND

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 25 07:56:33 UTC 2012

2012/1/24 Richard Purdie <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org>:
> On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 14:30 +0100, Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
>> Hi,
>> currently I try to build a native software that needs CMake, it is a
>> required tool to cross compile another software.
>> An it seems that CMAKE_AR is set to an invalid value (CMAKE_AR-NOTFOUND).
>> The cmake.bbclass has no entry about this.
>>
>> By searching the web, the only information found was that it can be
>> set to ${GCC_PATH}/dld.
>> As I am usually not working with CMake where can I find the native
>> "ar" or "dld" executable in OpenEmbedded?
>>
>> Using the archiver from my hosts /usr/bin/ar seems to be wrong since
>> in cmake.bbclass "set( CMAKE_FIND_ROOT_PATH_MODE_PROGRAM ONLY )"
>> prohibits it.
>
> In the same way the class figures out OECMAKE_C_COMPILER from ${CC}, you
> probably need to figure out ar from ${AR} and pass it to the cmake
> configuration.
>
> Note I know very little about cmake so I'm of less help with that
> piece ;-).

After looking around in all ends of OE-core it shows up that this
error is caused by binutils.inc.
Finding ar would be no problem itself, but if the binary is not
installed or gets deleted after building binutils-native it is
impossible to locate it.

In binutils.inc do_install:
rm ${D}${bindir}/ar ${D}${bindir}/strings

Well I still wonder why my target sysroot has ar if it gets deleted here...

Anyone knows why ar is being removed in do_install?

--
Regards
Samuel