[OE-core] CMake error? CMAKE_AR-NOTFOUND

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Jan 26 11:22:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 09:31 +0100, Samuel Stirtzel wrote:
> 2012/1/25 Samuel Stirtzel <s.stirtzel at googlemail.com>:

> >> In the same way the class figures out OECMAKE_C_COMPILER from ${CC}, you
> >> probably need to figure out ar from ${AR} and pass it to the cmake
> >> configuration.
> >>
> >> Note I know very little about cmake so I'm of less help with that
> >> piece ;-).
> >
> > After looking around in all ends of OE-core it shows up that this
> > error is caused by binutils.inc.
> > Finding ar would be no problem itself, but if the binary is not
> > installed or gets deleted after building binutils-native it is
> > impossible to locate it.
> >
> > In binutils.inc do_install:
> > rm ${D}${bindir}/ar ${D}${bindir}/strings
> Sorry I pasted the wrong line, this was for cross compiling.
> From the do_install_virtclass-native:
> # We only want libiberty, libbfd and libopcodes
> rm -rf ${D}${bindir}
>
> but the effect is still the same..

If you're after a native "ar", you should use ar from the build system
itself. We do build binutils-native for some of its libraries to avoid
some dependencies on the build system but ar is not something
binutils-native should provide, we assume its there as part of the build
systems toolchain.

If you really need a native ar, you need to figure out how to get cmake
to use "ar" from PATH.

I had previously assumed you wanted to use the cross ar.