[OE-core] why would a recipe have both do_install() and do_install_append()?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Jul 5 10:14:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012, Khem Raj wrote:

> > Andreas is correct, you can't override a do_install_append (),
> > both would just get appended.
>
> yes thats true. I was thinking about having appends which are
> recipe-class specific but that case wont apply to a normal _append
> like above

  so, in the end. there's really no compelling rationale for a recipe
defining both a do_install() and do_install_append() back to back, is
that correct?  because there are a small number of OE recipes that do
just that:

$ grep -wl do_install $(grep -rlw do_install_append *)
meta/recipes-support/libcap/libcap.inc
meta/recipes-devtools/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs_1.42.1.bb
meta/recipes-core/tinylogin/tinylogin_1.4.bb
meta/recipes-core/eglibc/eglibc-package.inc
meta/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-yocto.inc
meta/recipes-extended/lsb/lsb_1.4.bb
meta/recipes-extended/man/man_1.6f.bb
meta/recipes-extended/logrotate/logrotate_3.8.1.bb
$

  obviously, it doesn't hurt, it just seems unnecessary.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca