[OE-core] does anything actually use BBVERSIONS?

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Tue Jul 10 13:57:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>   perusing bitbake user manual, came across section 2.1.20 which
> mentions BBVERSIONS, but i don't see any current usage of it.  is it
> still actively used anywhere?  the only places i see it are in the
> documentation.

I don't know of any uses of it. The original intent was to allow a
single recipe to emit multiple versions of a recipe, like
BBCLASSEXTEND, thereby consolidating the metadata for an upstream
project in a single place rather than it being scattered across .inc
files, but I don't think anyone has needed to use it or tried to use
it for anything. I still think there's value, but less so now that we
try to keep the number of supported versions of a thing to a minimum.
--
Christopher Larson