[OE-core] apparently superfluous 'do_kernel_checkout[dirs] = "${S}"'

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 13:30:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

>   yes, more pedantry ... just to make sure i'm (again) not missing
> anything subtle, but it seems that this line in kernel-yocto.bbclass:
>
>   do_kernel_checkout[dirs] = "${S}"
>
> is unnecessary since kernel_checkout() explicitly removes and
> recreates that directory anyway.  no, i'm not going to submit a patch
> for that :-), just want to know that i'm understanding this correctly.
>
>   i guess the same could be said for the line below that:
>
>   do_kernel_configme[dirs] = "${S} ${B}"
>
> since that step happens after the kernel checkout and one would think
> that at least ${S} must exist at that point or something's gone
> horribly wrong.

These are required. git is your friend on these ones, they are all related
to making sure that the right directories always exist for sstate, and other
task ordering problems. Richard and Saul added most of them to fix
various corner cases .. so it's not a matter of unnecessary, it's a matter of
safety, and they do no harm .. so I won't touch them with a 10 foot pole :)

Cheers,

Bruce

>   back to proofreading ...
>
> rday
>
> --

> Robert P. J. Day                                 Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
>                         http://crashcourse.ca

> LinkedIn:                               http://ca.linkedin.com/in/rpjday

thee at its end"