[OE-core] Yocto style guide change proposal

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Jul 20 13:56:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-20 at 11:32 +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> Now we have horrible mixture of whitespaces (tabs and space) only in
> recipe files, because yocto style guide recommends tabs in shell
> functions. So if recipe has e.g. do_install_append as well as
> populate_packages_prepend (not so uncommon combination as tabs fixing
> patches show), then according to yocto style guide it should look like
> this:
>
> do_install_append() {
> 	foo
> }
> python populate_packages_prepend () {
>     libdir = bb.data.expand('${libdir}', d)
>     do_split_packages(d, libdir, '^lib(.*)\.so\.*', 'lib%s', 'ORC %s library', extra_depends='', allow_links=True)
> }
>
> especially with default tab width 8 spaces it's ugly and because it
> is inconsistent, many devs used spaces in shell functions too. Now when
> someone accidentaly use tab also in python function it will show warning
> or fail to parse. Some devs are using mix of tabs and spaces even on the
> same line (e.g. to indent SRC_URI multiline entries).

We've said tabs for shell functions for *years*. I'm sure if I were to
look at the mailing list archives, that would be clear.

In summary, I agree we need to make the style guides consistent and have
one version of them. I disagree with spaces for everything though,m
particularly as we have said to use tabs for as long and many of the
recipes do this (certainly more than use spaces).