[OE-core] what's the point of the "defconfig" arg to check_branch?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Jul 21 14:10:19 UTC 2012

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012, Bruce Ashfield wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> >   in the createme() kern-tools utility:
> >
> > # checks and creates the branch that was indicated when creatme was
> > # called. This branch is what is expected to contain the kernel content
> > # being built
> > check_branch() {
> >         branch=$1
> >         defconfig=$2   <-- ??????
> >
> >         ktgt=$branch
> >
> >         old_pwd=`pwd`
> >         git show-ref --quiet --verify -- "refs/heads/$ktgt"
> >         if [ $? -eq 1 ]; then
> >                 if [ "$repo" == "external" ]; then
> >                         git checkout -b $ktgt
> >                 fi
> >                 mkdir -p $meta_dir/cfg/scratch/obj
> >         else
> >                 # branch exists. Are we an 'external repo' ?
> >                 if [ "$repo" == "external" ]; then
> >                         git checkout $ktgt
> >                 fi
> >         fi
> >
> >         cd $old_pwd
> > }
> >
> >   it doesn't seem like that second argument is being used, and i don't
> > see anything in the log that explains it, but perhaps i just missed
> > it.
>
> It used to be used to propagate a defconfig into the build, but not
> anymore. Just a leftover at this point. A patch to remove it would
> be accepted :)

  ok, but once that reference is gone, doesn't that make *all*
reference to "defconfig" in createme superfluous?  it would seem that
the shell function check_defconfig() becomes unnecessary as well.
again, unless i'm missing something.

  if you want to clarify that, i'll whip up a patch.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca