[OE-core] Broken gettext/gdbm

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Jul 23 07:19:05 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-23 at 08:50 +0200, Matthieu CRAPET wrote:
> Hi,
>
> $ bitbake gdbm -e | grep ^DEPENDS
> DEPENDS_GETTEXT="virtual/gettext gettext-native"
> DEPENDS="autoconf-native automake-native libtool-native libtool-cross gnu-config-native virtual/gettext gettext-native  virtual/arm-ingenico-linux-gnueabi-gcc virtual/arm-ingenico-linux-gnueabi-compilerlibs virtual/libc"
>
> $ bitbake gettext -e | grep ^DEPENDS
> DEPENDS_virtclass-native="libxml2-native gettext-minimal-native"
> DEPENDS="autoconf-native automake-native libtool-native libtool-cross gnu-config-native  virtual/arm-ingenico-linux-gnueabi-gcc virtual/arm-ingenico-linux-gnueabi-compilerlibs virtual/libc  libxml2-native gettext-native virtual/libiconv ncurses expat"
>
> Note: We are using our own external toolchain.

That is an important detail!

> I wasn't clear enough in my previous post. It appear to be a circular dependency.

A circular dependency on what?

> Since my update I have this log:
> NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
> NOTE: multiple providers are available for virtual/gettext (proxy-libintl, gettext)
> NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match virtual/gettext

Have you tried setting:

PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/gettext = "gettext"

?

> When I just try to build gettext, It wants to build gdbm.. which depends of gettext too.
>
> gettext-minimal-native doesn't have config.rpath, gettext-native has it.
>
> But config.rpath is taken from ${STAGING_DATADIR}/gettext/config.rpath" and not ${STAGING_DATADIR_NATIVE}/gettext/config.rpath".
> Patching "meta/classes/autotools.bbclass" would be a proper fix ?

No, that doesn't sound right.

I think the problem is that the system is thinking virtual/gettext is
provided by proxy-libintl. Adding the line above should convince it
otherwise and then things should work better.