[OE-core] Package recipes change proposal (system-wide) - name wise

Iorga, Cristian cristian.iorga at intel.com
Wed Jul 25 07:23:31 UTC 2012

Hello all,

For me, having the version number contained in the name of package recipe is a little bit puzzling.
For example: libpcre/libpcre_8.31.bb

Is there a solid technical reason to not have it like this?

libpcre/libpcre.bb
and inside the recipe to have a PV variable defined:
PV="8.31"

In that case, the upgrade/update process would not involve performing a "git move" operation.
In my opinion, this "git move" operation is something to be avoided, as it puzzles a little bit the versioning system and complicates the review process.

Of course, some changes in the bitbake system would be involved, but I guess would not be too complicated.
Also, there will be a volume of work to be performed for changing the name of recipes and adding the PV variable inside the recipe.
But I guess that a script could solve that, followed by some manual review.

Waiting for some feedback.

Thanks,
Cristian

Cristian Iorga