[OE-core] RFC: Braindump on Bootloaders, Image Types, and Installers

Anders Darander anders at chargestorm.se
Thu Jun 7 06:52:53 UTC 2012

* Darren Hart <dvhart at linux.intel.com> [120605 22:56]:
>   * Initramfs
>     - Linux kernel and initramfs as a single image
>     - this will require some significant workflow changes as images are
>       generated after the kernel and the kernel needs the rootfs to
>       build the combined image.

Here it would also be nice to support an option to combine the kernel
and the initramfs in a post-process stage. Otherwise, there needs to be
some more, possibly complicated, changes to the workflow to make it
possible to build external kernel modules into the initramfs. Or to
explicitly state that this is an unsupported configuration. We're
currently looking into this, but we're currently heading for separate
kernel and initramfs, partly due to this.

Cheers,

/Anders

--
Anders Darander