[OE-core] Proposal: Creating meta-networking

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Fri Jun 15 19:55:30 UTC 2012

On 06/15/2012 02:55 PM, Andrei Gherzan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:08 PM, Otavio Salvador <otavio at ossystems.com.br>wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think creating a networking layer is fine idea, alongside meta-oe,
>>> as a separate layer in meta-openembedded repo. Reshuffling recipes
>>> from meta-oe into different layers is fine. I would like to avoid copies.
>>
>> I'd prefer if it used another git repository; people needing to use it
>> shouldn't be forced to clone whole meta-oe.
>>
>> This would be my proposal as well. To have this as a separate layer.

meta-oe already hosts several layers. It is kind of nice not to have to
clone a slowly increasing number of git repos. Rather clone a few and
manage the layers within them.

My larger concern with the networking layer, is what layers will it
depend on? Will the layer dependencies change based on the distro
features? This is the hardest thing to get right with layer grouping.

Philip