[OE-core] proper use of CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jun 19 17:52:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Tuesday 19 June 2012 13:05:35 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
... snip ...

> >   now this would seem to be exactly what the variable
> > CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL was invented for, no?  certainly the above
> > will work but then what's the point of having
> > CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL?
> >
> >   however, if one used that, it's obvious that one would leave the
> > line "inherit core-image" to near the bottom of the .bb file, but
> > returning to my earlier question, what is the proper ordering of
> > setting CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL and inheriting core-image.  it's
> > clear "inherit core-image" would always work *after*, but what about
> > before?
>
> I feel like we've gone over this ground quite a lot; but I guess
> that's because our documentation and examples still aren't clear, so
> fair enough.
>
> There's nothing forcing you into a specific usage here, however we
> might make some recommendations. My recommendation would be to leave
> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL for use from local.conf - i.e. don't use it
> in your own image recipe; if you want to add things there use
> IMAGE_INSTALL += or IMAGE_INSTALL_append (see other thread).

  and i apologize for beating this so thoroughly -- i'm actually not
suggesting any fundamental changes to the code base; rather, i'm
currently designing an intro course in oe-core/yocto and if i'm going
to use actual recipe files out of oe-core, there's no question i'm
going to have to explain why some of them simply look a bit weird.

  i'm just trying to codify some "best practices".

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca