[OE-core] oddities related to "_append" and "_prepend" in oe-core

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jun 20 12:33:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012, Phil Blundell wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 08:14 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > inspired by richard purdie's correction of my original patch, i did
> > a quick grep to see if i could find any oddities related, first, to
> > uses of "_append"; specifically, where the string being appended did
> > *not* start with a blank.  there are certainly proper examples of
> > that, say when one is appending to a path, or appending to a filename,
> > and so on where a blank would be *wrong*.
> >
> >   but there also appear to be "errors", so here's the grep command and
> > its output:
> >
> > $ grep -r "_append = \"[^ ]" *
> > meta/conf/bitbake.conf:DISTRO_FEATURES_append = "${@oe.utils.distro_features_backfill(d)}"
>
> That one is probably ok.
>
> > meta/recipes-devtools/gdb/gdb-cross-canadian.inc:EXTRA_OECONF_append = "--with-python=${WORKDIR}/python"
>
> That one is actually ok, since the old value of EXTRA_OECONF ends with
> whitespace.  But it does look confusing, and there is no obvious reason
> it couldn't be += instead.

... big snip ...

  just to be awesomely clear as to what i'm trying to do here, i
realize that a lot of what i'm picking on is perfectly valid and
works.  but in trying to lash together at least an intro tutorial on
oe-core, i want to be able to say, "let's look at how it's done in the
source," without having to constantly explain how there are different
ways to do exactly the same thing without confusing the reader any
further.

  as i said, i'm trying to codify "best practices."  boy, a style
guide sure would come in handy. :-)

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca