[OE-core] glibc detected *** groupadd: malloc(): memory corruption

Saul Wold sgw at linux.intel.com
Thu Jun 21 15:46:23 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 11:07 PM, Robert Yang wrote:

> Thanks Mark, the rpm.real also has the same problem when the length of
> tmpdir
> is 210, it seems that this is because of the glibc.
>

> And also other problems found:
> When use PACKAGE_CLASSES = "package_deb", and the length of tmpdir is 177,
> the error is:
>
> /too/long/path/totmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr/bin/dpkg-scanpackages:
> bad interpreter: No such file or directory
>
> The interpreter is perl, and it does exist, it seems that we should limit
> the length of tmpdir to a smaller value then 177 rather than fix these
> strange
> problems. I will go on working on it.

Robert,

A path length of 175 or short is not ideal, we should file bugs against
these issues.  We should also add the sanity check you suggested as a
WARNING for lenghts over 175.  That should not be the final solution
though, we need to address the issues and get them fixed up stream.

The groupadd one sounds like it might be a buffer overflow issue which
could have larger ramifications

Thanks

Sau!

> // Robert
>
> On 06/19/2012 01:47 AM, Mark Hatle wrote:
>> We're not away of any size limitations within pseudo, other then
>> PATH_MAX which
>> is typically 4096...
>>
>> --Mark
>>
>> On 6/18/12 4:17 AM, Robert Yang wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Experts:
>>>
>>> I've met a strange issue, when set the length of builddir to
>>> 266 (Why I did this is that I need to know how long the tmpdir
>>> that oe-core can support):
>>>
>>> NOTE: package dbus-1.4.20-r3.0: task do_install: Started
>>> *** glibc detected *** groupadd: malloc(): memory corruption:
>>> 0x000000000101da70 ***
>>> *** glibc detected *** groupadd: malloc(): memory corruption:
>>> 0x000000000101da70 ***
>>>
>>> Then the build would hang, this is caused by the command:
>>>
>>> PSEUDO_PREFIX=/too/long/path/tmp/sysroots/x86_64-linux/usr
>>> PSEUDO_LOCALSTATEDIR=... PSEUDO_PASSWD=...