[OE-core] CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL has potential to be misleading?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Jun 22 10:31:18 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 20 June 2012 14:28:40 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   was reminded of this as i was perusing some old OE core notes.
> remember this from core-image.bbclass?
>
> CORE_IMAGE_BASE_INSTALL = '\
>     task-core-boot \
>     task-base-extended \
>     \
>     ${CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL} \
>     '
>
> CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL ?= ""
>
> IMAGE_INSTALL ?= "${CORE_IMAGE_BASE_INSTALL}"
>
>   except there are some core image variation recipes
> (core-image-minimal-dev.bb, among others) that do things like this:
>
> IMAGE_INSTALL = "task-core-boot ${ROOTFS_PKGMANAGE}"
>
> IMAGE_FEATURES += "dev-pkgs"
>
> IMAGE_LINGUAS = " "
>
> LICENSE = "MIT"
>
> inherit core-image
>
>   note how the explicit assignment to IMAGE_INSTALL in that second
> example will copletely override the "IMAGE_INSTALL ?=" in the bbclass
> file, at which point ${CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL} will obviously never
> be evaluated and included.

Right, this is not really ideal. In the case of core-image-minimal(-dev) we're
trying to be as minimal as reasonably possible, and that includes eliminating
a bunch of the stuff that core-image.bbclass adds. The easiest way to do this
is by simply setting IMAGE_INSTALL explicitly.

It seems like core-image-minimal-dev has been a little neglected - at least
two changes that went into core-image-minimal were not also applied to it,
including the addition of CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL (or POKY_EXTRA_INSTALL as
it was known at the time). I'm wondering if a better way for this specific
recipe to work would just to be to "require core-image-minimal.bb" and then
set IMAGE_FEATURES += "dev-pkgs" as appropriate.

core-image-minimal* are somewhat special cases, however I do think we do need
to improve the consistency of all of our image recipes.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton