[OE-core] building multiple kernel and module packages for the same MACHINE

James Limbouris james at digitalmatter.com.au
Mon Mar 12 09:19:57 UTC 2012

Hi,

I need to have multiple kernels built for a particular piece of hardware, to be packaged within several different images. I understand that in oe-core, there is a single kernel provider, and the kernel it builds is staged into the machine sysroot so that external kernel modules can be built against it. This isn't itself a problem - I don't mind having a generic kernel in the staging area, so long as I can build multiple kernels, and install their kernel modules onto various images.

I have considered simply defining several equivalent machines in order to get around this 1:1 limitation, but this results in multiple sysroots, and the sysroots get rather large.
Does anyone know of a ready-made alternate solution, or have any advice to share? The only hints I could pick up from the mailing list archive seemed to predate oe-core...

Thanks,
James