[OE-core] specific version dependenciews - was: Linking two recipes

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Mar 19 21:59:34 UTC 2012

Dear Richard,

In message <1332192150.9740.72.camel at ted> you wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 13:59 -0700, simran singh wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have recipes for two applications Recipe A and Recipe B. Recipe B
> > requires a lib.so file and init.h file which are installed by Recipe
> > A.
> recipe B needs to do:
>
> DEPENDS += "recipeA"

I have a similar, but more complicated requirement which I don;t know
how to implement (if this is possible at all):

Some MACHINEs require a package A (some library), but in specific
versions: say machine X needs version A-1.2, while machine Y needs
version A-1.5.

Package A itself depends on another package B (another library).

The problem is, that different versions of A require specific versions
of B.  For example, to build A-1.2 we must use B-4.5, but to build
A-1.5 we must use B-8.2.

I am aware that I can describe the dependencies at the top leven,
stating for example that machine X needs A-1.2 and B-4.5, while
machine Y needs A-1.5 and B-8.2.

However, this seems clumsy, as the version depency A->B is something
that is only defined by the implementation of A, and I would like to
keep it encapsulated at this level.

Is there a clever way to describe such a multi-level dependency chain?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know  its
true name.                      -- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie