[OE-core] Build failures due zlib problem

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Wed Mar 21 09:53:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 22:40 -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> | NOTE: Unpacking
> /home/ostt-devel/src/embedded-systems/downloads/gcc-4_6-branch_gcc.gnu.org_.svn.gcc.branches_184847_.tar.gz
> to /home/ostt-devel/src/embedded-systems/tmp-eglibc-eglibc/work-shared/gcc-4.6.3+svnr184847-r28/
> | gzip: /usr/lib/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.5.1' not found (required by gzip)
> | tar: Child returned status 1
>
> Does anyone sees it? Our autobuilder is failing this way.

Yes, its being seen. I think its appeared after the pigz-native change
but it exposes an underlying problem.

The issue is that we have a gzip binary in the sysroot linking against
libz. We can get into a situation where we remove libz to rebuild but we
don't remove the gzip binary yet.

gzip-native is a tricky one since its one of those recipes we don't
correctly have a dependency chain for and is also implied in
ASSUME_PROVIDED (else how to we extract tarballs?).

Whilst I've implicated pigz-native, we could potentially see this with
gzip-native too, I'd guess its just more flexible about the libz symbols
it uses.

I'm trying to come up with a good way of handling this but at the moment
I'm drawing a blank for a neat solution :(.

Something along the lines of perl-native might be necessary. We could
also decide its a special case and remove gzip whenever libz is
removed...