[OE-core] Syscall backporting and linux-libc-headers

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Fri Mar 23 13:42:25 UTC 2012

On 12-03-23 08:35 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 11:44 -0400, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> On 12-03-22 11:12 AM, Koen Kooi wrote:
>>>
>>> Op 22 mrt. 2012, om 15:49 heeft Richard Purdie het volgende geschreven:

>> Sorry for the slow reply, I missed the original and was wrapped
>> up in some debugging.
>>

>>> In this case that would be perfectly fine. And bump PR in virtual/libc of course :)
>>
>> I was just about to do this. Just a day or so ago, I noticed that
>> the version had lagged (again) and needed to be bumped. I'm all
>> for this as well, as long as there's a graceful fallback of ENOSYS
>> there's no real harm to older kernels.
>>
>> Richard: an to you on this one .. is it too late to do this for
>> the various stabilization points ?
>
> I'm a bit jittery on this. If I have the patch today and it doesn't
> break anything it might make it in..

I've made the changes here and am watching some builds churn away,
so far so good.

But I realized that this won't solve the issue that prompted Koen's
original email. The audit syscall for ARM. When it does merge, we'll
be able to bump past the version that contains it, and then make it
universally available in the right version of the libc-headers
package.

Bumping to 3.2 won't get us there, so if we'd rather not do this
right now. I'm ok going with the 3.1 headers that we've been using
all along.

I can still send the patch later today and leave the decision up
to you, but thought I should make another comment.

Cheers,

Bruce