[OE-core] Consistency and use cases for IMAGE_FSTYPES

Tom Rini tom.rini at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 17:03:31 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 09:34:02AM -0700, Darren Hart wrote:

> On 03/23/2012 09:29 AM, Tom Rini wrote:

> about if we should be using '?=' or '+=' with IMAGE_FSTYPES in the
> >>>>>>>

> The problem is we have the following and I believe ultimately

> >> Is this causing any nasty failures right now, or is it in the
> >> "this is a confusing mess and it would be nice to get it cleaned
> >> up" bucket? If the latter, I think I'd prefer to wait a bit an
> >> clean up the local.conf/machine.conf IMAGE_FSTYPES clobbering
> >> issue.
> >
> > Well, I found this as part of adding UBI support for a board and
> > it wasn't sticking.
> >
> > I'd go so far as to say that for a release, we really need to pick
> > a standard, document and follow it.  If it's machine.conf does =,
> > everyone else does += and user's have to do _local =, fine, it
> > sucks but it's documented and consistent on all of the BSP layers.
> >
> >> If this isn't really fixable (for whatever requirements bitbake
> >> has on load/parse order of config files), then Koen's
> >> EXTRA_IMAGE_FSTYPES seems like the most consistent mechanism with
> >> other things, like CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL (OK, maybe
> >> IMAGE_EXTRA_FSTYPES ?).
> >>
> >> So the default becomes:
> >>
> >> IMAGE_FSTYPES ?= ${IMAGE_EXTRA_FSTYPES}
> >>
> >> and DISTROs might define that as:
> >>
> >> IMAGE_FSTYPES += "yyy"
> >>
> >> and users can update local.conf to be:
> >>
> >> IMAGE_FSTYPES = "X"
> >>
> >> But, doesn't this meant the DISTRO append will still change the
> >> IMAGE_FSTYPES to "X yyy" even though the user intended "only X"?
> >
> > How about: bitbake.conf: IMAGE_FSTYPES ??= ${IMAGE_EXTRA_FSTYPES}
> > distro.conf: IMAGE_FSTYPES ?= "yyy ${IMAGE_EXTRA_FSTYPES}"
> > local.conf: IMAGE_FSTYPES = "X"
> >
> > Or am I forgetting the magic of ??= again...
> >

> What would machine.conf do in this scenario?

OK, lets test things out.  bitbake.conf, distro.conf set as above (with
machine.conf providing IMAGE_EXTRA_FSTYPES).

> IMAGE_FSTYPES_append_machine = "Z" ?

With this in local.conf, IMAGE_FSTYPES = "distro machineZ" (the fun of
_append semantics, you would have wanted " Z").

> IMAGE_EXTRA_FSTYPES = "Z"

Again in local.conf, this is ignored and it's the original problem.
Making this IMAGE_EXTRA_FSTYPES_local = "Z" is also ignored because
local overrides were removed in 83ce96f (really? ok..).  Making this
IMAGE_EXTRA_FSTYPES_forcevariable = "Z" yields IMAGE_FSTYPES = "distro Z".

--
Tom