[OE-core] "${bindir}" versus "${bindir}/*" ??

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sat Mar 24 10:01:09 UTC 2012

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012, Richard Purdie wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-03-24 at 04:40 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > in bitbake.conf, numerous variables like "FILES_${PN}" are
> > initialized with a combination of directory variables, with two
> > different forms:
> >
> >   * ${bindir}
> >   * ${bindir}/*
> >
> > is there a functional difference between those two?  my wildly
> > speculative guess is that if "*" works as it does in the shell, it
> > would simply skip any hidden objects.  is that the difference?  since
> > i don't see that clarified anywhere.
>
> The former is recursive and the latter is not and will just match files
> in the directory (unhidden ones at that).

  ah, that clears up so much.  i'm actually embarrassed to ask such
obvious questions -- is that written up somewhere that i should have
run across it before asking about it?

rday

p.s.  By "unhidden ones at that," i'm assuming you mean *only*
unhidden ones?  so that its behaviour is entirely consistent with what
people would expect?

                        http://crashcourse.ca