[OE-core] adding a single package to an image -- what's the proper way?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Mar 27 19:12:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, Marko Katić wrote:

> I haven't tried this myself on images, but you can probably use
> .bbappend for this. I think bbappend files provide a proper way for
> extending recipes. So for instance,if you want to add a package to
> the core-image-minimal image you would place the following in your
> core-image-minimal.bbappend file:
>
> IMAGE_INSTALL += "your_package"
>
> Of course, this solution assumes you have a local overlay.
>
> Or maybe you could try placing the above IMAGE_INSTALL append to
> your local.conf. But that's probably messy and not advised.

  and this is part of the frustration in trying to do what should be
extremely simple things in OE -- they're just not documented.
however, rather than harp on this issue, i'm going to backtrack and
post a more general missive explaining what i'm trying to do.  back in
a while ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca