[OE-core] adding a single package to an image -- what's the proper way?

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Mar 28 11:22:18 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 28 March 2012 07:14:41 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   even though i realize this technique is not encouraged for
> local.conf, as i mentioned, i just tested using it from scratch in a
> brand new build and it still didn't add that package to my image.  if
> it should have, then something isn't working.

So, there are two reasons why it might not work:

1) If you're using core-image-minimal, it will never be included using
DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS (nor MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS, for that matter). This is
because core-image-minimal does not include task-base - only the minimum
required to get a working system.

2) Otherwise, if task-base has already been built and will be included (which
it will be for any image that inherits from core-image and does not override
IMAGE_INSTALL, e.g. core-image-sato) but you aren't using OEBasicHash
(defaults to enabled for latest Poky, but not for OE-Core's default policy)
then changing DISTRO_EXTRA_RDEPENDS after the fact won't do anything unless
you force task-base to rebuild.

Cheers,
Paul

--