[OE-core] [bitbake-devel] do_rootfs failed ... bug in log_check?

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Fri Mar 30 07:08:10 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 02:27:13AM -0400, Oren Leaffer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting the following failure on "bitbake -v -D -D -D systemd-image":
> ERROR: Task 8 (/home/ol/setup-scripts/sources/meta-angstrom/recipes-images/angstrom/systemd-image.bb,
> do_rootfs) failed with exit code '1'
> NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 3283 tasks of which 3282 didn't need to
> be rerun and 1 failed.
> + cd /home/ol/setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_2010_x-eglibc/work/armv7a-angstrom-linux-gnueabi/bblayers-1.0-r0/bblayers-1.0
> + buildhistory_commit
> + '[' '!' -d /home/ol/setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_2010_x-eglibc/buildhistory
> ']'
> + cd /home/ol/setup-scripts/build/tmp-angstrom_2010_x-eglibc/buildhistory/
> + '[' '!' -d .git ']'
> ++ git status --porcelain
> + repostatus=
> + '[' '' '!=' '' ']'

We have been discussing this topic past couple days here:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.angstrom.devel/6260/focus=6274

Moreover, bitbake-devel is probably the wrongest list for this discussion or
patch. I'm copying other related lists, but probably the main one should be
openembedded-core, as the patch tries to fix it's package_ipk class...

> From what I can tell, this is caused because the log_check command in
> setup-scripts/sources/openembedded-core/meta/classes/package_ipk.class
> matches on line 177 to
>
> file://3.2.1/0042-xhci-Properly-handle-COMP_2ND_BW_ERR.patch
>
> and to
>
> file://3.2.6/0072-target-Fail-INQUIRY-commands-with-EVPD-0-but-PAGE-CO.patch

And your analysis seems correct, as the grep matches the patch names of
beaglebone kernel from meta-ti.

> It occurs to me that this might be a result of the level of
> verbosity/debugging that I specified.

Actually, it does not depend on the verbosity/debug level, as it controls the
output on the console and not in the log.do_rootfs file.

> Attached is my patch that does two things:
> 1) makes the error message from log_check slightly more informative

I don't think this part is really necessary - you always know which packaging
system you use, so ipk/deb/rpm_log_check is rather easily identifiable...

> 2) changes the text that log_check is using to identify errors to
> incorporate regular expressions

So, this changes the regular expression to look for ^ERR and ^Fail at the
beginning of the line...

> This makes it less likely to issue false positives, I hope that it
> doesn't increase the changes of false negatives, but I'm a rank
> amateur at this, so I wouldn't bet on it.

While the change should fix this particular issue, I'm also worried about
increasing chances of missing the actual errors when they don't start with ERR
and Fail at the beginning of the line.

Either way, you may want to resubmit the cleaned up patch to openembedded-core
list for other to comment.

P.S. Sorry for somewhat excessive cross-posting.

--
Denys