[OE-core] require/include a .bb file in the same directory?

Denys Dmytriyenko denis at denix.org
Fri Mar 30 19:50:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 05:59:22AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   couple questions about the require/include directives.  first, can
> you include *any* valid text file?  not just your standard .inc file
> (even though that is of course the most common thing to do).
>
>   and second, i'm looking at this example in meta/recipes-core/images,
> where the recipe file core-image-minimal-mtdutils.bb is defined as:
>
> require core-image-minimal.bb
> IMAGE_INSTALL += "mtd-utils"
>
> that looks perfectly reasonable since that required .bb file is in the
> same directory, and this is clearly just defining a new image recipe
> by adding one more package.
>
>   but the explanation of include/require in the bitbake manual is:
>
> "if the path specified on the include line is a relative path,
> BitBake will locate the first one it can find within BBPATH."
>
>   that suggests that, by some massively unlikely fluke, i might
> unknowingly have an identically-named recipe file earlier in my BBPATH
> variable and that earlier one is the one that would be included.  is
> that correct?

For that to happen, the file has to be in the top-level directory of one of
your layers listed by BBPATH, which rarely happens, as proper layers have at
least a minimal directory structure, such as conf/, recipes/ etc.

On the other hand, if you really want that file to be included from another
layer, which is higher priority or listed earlier, then you would need to do:

require recipes-core/images/core-image-minimal.bb

>   and if that's true, could i avoid that kind of mistake by doing:
>
> require ./core-image-minimal.bb

I haven't tried that, but I believe it will be the same as w/o ./

--
Denys