[OE-core] Getting nonexistent files from debian.org not erroring but saving html-page as destination file, Was: [Patch] Update dpkg to one available

Marko Lindqvist cazfi74 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 19:49:45 UTC 2012

On 4 May 2012 19:06, Saul Wold <sgw at linux.intel.com> wrote:
> On 05/04/2012 04:29 AM, Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>>
>>  I'm trying to make my first openembedded-core build. That failed due
>> to dpkg-1.15.8.5 being not available for download any more.
>>
> This should be still available on our MIRROR.

 I now got similar looking problem with apt. At least this time (and
probably with dpkg earlier) it has downloaded something from the
debian server and happily saved that as correct file, and never
fallback to OE MIRROR. That apt_0.7.14.tar.gz file is actually
html-page, not 404 but something that debian server seems to return
when one tries to download already removed file.

>>  Attached patch allowed me to get past that point (updating dpkg
>> recipe to use latest (1.16.3) dpkg), but as I'm just learning my way
>> around, this has not been subject to any real testing.
>>
>>  - Changes equivalent to dpkg-deb-avoid-fflush.patch seem now to be in
>> upstream (probably this exact patch applied)
>>  - I just adjusted perllibdir.patch, but I'm not sure if it's needed
>> at all any more. It was used to remove unconditional PERL_LIBDIR
>> assignment, but now the assignment is conditional in upstream anyway
>>

> Thanks for creating this update, we would like to take this, but if you
> could you please re-format this and send a proper patch to the list, best to
> use either the "git format-patch" with "git send-email or the scripts
> create-pull-request/send-pull-request, also review the commit message
> guidelines at
>
> http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Commit_Patch_Message_Guidelines

 Thanks for instructions. I'll check those guidelines when as soon as
I have time and create patch according your policies.

 - ML