[OE-core] SetScene tasks hang forever?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue May 8 12:34:02 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-05-06 at 10:36 -0700, Rich Pixley wrote:
> On 5/2/12 16:06 , Richard Purdie wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 14:48 -0500, Mark Hatle wrote:
> >> On 5/2/12 2:45 PM, Rich Pixley wrote:
> > What would really help is a way to reproduce this...
> >
> > Does it reproduce with a certain set of metadata/sstate perhaps?
> >
> > What is odd about the above logs is that it appears bitbake never
> > executes any task. Its possible something might have crashed somewhere I
> > guess and not realise part of the system had died. Or it could be some
> > kind of circular dependency loop where X needs Y to build and Y needs X
> > so nothing happens. We are supposed to spot and error if that would have
> > happened.
> >
> > Does strace give an idea of which bits of bitbake are alive/looping? I'd
> > probably resort to a few print()/bb.error() in the code at this point to
> > find out what is alive, what is dead and where its looping...
> I have more info now.
>
> What I suspected was looping, (since it took longer than the ~1hr I was
> willing to wait), isn't actual looping.  Given enough time, the builds
> do complete and I have comparable results on 5 different servers, (all
> ubuntu-12.04 amd64 and all on btrfs).
>
> My initial, full builds of core-image-minimal do build, and they build
> in ~60min, (~30min if I hand seed the downloads directory).  I'm using
> no mirrors other than the defaults.  My second build in an already built
> directory, (expected to do nothing), takes anywhere from 7 - 10.5hrs to
> complete and successfully do nothing, depending on the server.
>
> During this time, top shows a single cpu pinned at 98 - 100%
> utilization, and strace shows literally millions of access and stat
> calls on stamp files, mkdir on the stamps directory, etc.  Statistical
> analysis of just the do_fetch access calls shows a distribution that
> seems to mimic the topological tree.  That is, the most called access is
> for quilt-native and the components higher up the tree get fewer stats.
>
> Oh, and the setscene stamps are all nonexistent.  I presume that's expected.
>
> First, I can't imagine why there would need to be more than one mkdir on
> the stamps directory within a single instantiation of bitbake.  I can
> imagine that it was easier to attempt to mkdir it than to check first,
> but once it has been mkdir'd, (or checked), there's no need to do it
> another million times, is there?
>
> Second, I can't imagine why there would need to be all the redundant
> stamp checking.  That info is cached internally, isn't it?
>
> And third, the fact that it seems to be checking the entire subtree what
> appear to be multiple times at every node suggests to me that the
> checking algorithm is broken.  Back of the envelope... perhaps 300
> components, maybe 10 tasks per component ~= 3e3 tasks.  Figure a
> geometric explosion of checks for an inefficient algorithm and we're up
> to around 10e6 checks.  I haven't counted an entire run, but based on
> the time it takes to run, I'd say I'm seeing one, maybe two orders of
> [...]

Well, this clearly doesn't happen with master or in any combination of
the layers most users are using. The logical conclusion would be that
there is something in your layer that is somehow triggering this.

Of course since that layer is secret and you can't show us it, we have a
bit of a problem. Can you reproduce the bug against public code?

Are you by any chance setting BB_STAMP_POLICY somewhere?