[OE-core] [yocto] RFC: Merging commits from into the main denzil branch

Koen Kooi koen at dominion.thruhere.net
Thu May 24 11:26:13 UTC 2012

Op 24 mei 2012, om 00:00 heeft Scott Garman het volgende geschreven:

> Hello all,
>
> As most of you know, I've been pulling commits into a pair of sgarman/denzil-next branches which are intended to eventually become the next Denzil point-release, 1.2.1.
>
> oe-core based branch:
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=sgarman/denzil-next

Would it be possible to do that in the main repo? That saves people from needing to add and fetch yet another repo.

> poky based branch:
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=sgarman/denzil-next
>
> So far I haven't merged or requested to merge any of these commits into the main denzil branches of oe-core and poky, for two main reasons:
>
> 1. I've only performed the most basic build testing of these branches on a desktop system, building core-image-minimal and core-image-sato for our 5 qemu machines.
>
> 2. To date, we haven't had a clear process on how to transition from the maintainer's personal branch into the official repo branch. I'd like to develop a clear and documented process on doing this that involves community feedback on the commits.
>
> Just this week I've been able to start using the Yocto autobuilder to do more comprehensive testing of my denzil-next branch, so issue #1 is finally resolved, and I've got a green build to raise my confidence level:
>
> http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org:8010/builders/nightly/builds/462
>
> So now to address issue #2. The goal is to incorporate community feedback, so I'm looking to get ACKs or NAKs for these commits before they go into the main denzil branch.
>
> My proposal is to send denzil pull requests to the appropriate mailing lists, and Richard can merge them into the main repo denzil branches once they've received review by the community.
>
> My goal is to send these pull requests about once per week, once I've managed to get a green build out of the Yocto autobuilder for my contrib branch.
>
> What do folks think about this? Now's your opportunity to offer feedback and influence this process.

You're missing a process for people to propose commits for the denzil branch. How about this:

	If you want to propose a commit from master cherry-pick it into a local denzil branch and then send if for review to the oe-core list with the [for-denzil] subject prefix. Scott will take care of putting it in the pull requests based on the feedback the patch gets.

What would be nice to have is a (soft) requirement to add the testing data in the commit e.g. "Runtime tested on beaglebone/angstrom". Not sure how to automate it, but pull-requests should include a buidhistory diff when possible.

regards,

Koen