[OE-core] /sbin/init not found in oe-core

Brandon Stafford brandon at rascalmicro.com
Fri May 25 20:22:07 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to switch from OE classic to the new openembedded-core.
Using the latest commit on the denzil branch, I've successfully made a
meta layer and built a filesystem that looks reasonably similar to the
old one. But, it seems like something has changed in the boot process.

As the last step in initramfs/init.sh, after mounting the filesystem,
the kernel would attempt to execute /sbin/init like this:

    exec switch_root -c /dev/console /mnt/root /sbin/init

With the same old kernel and my new filesystem, this occurs:

    switch_root: can't execute '/sbin/init': No such file or directory

When I look at the filesystem, /sbin/init is, of course, nowhere to be found.

Has the boot process changed? What should I be doing instead of
calling /sbin/init?

Cheers,
Brandon
--
Brandon Stafford
Rascal Micro: small computers for art and science