[OE-core] [oe-core] How to query installed rpm packages

Giuseppe Condorelli giuseppe.condorelli at gmail.com
Tue May 29 13:49:42 UTC 2012

2012/5/29 Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com>

> On Tuesday 29 May 2012 15:20:14 Giuseppe Condorelli wrote:
> > What I'm not understanding is how I can invoke my shell function. Do you
> > mean I have to invoke it as append function of populate_rootfs one?
>
> If you aren't including packaging data in the resulting image (i.e.
> IMAGE_FEATURES does not contain "package-management"), you need to do your
> rpm
> calls from a function called via ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND because
> afterwards
> the data will be removed and rpm will not be usable.
>
> > What I really need is a way to query the rpm database
> > out from the build system, as we normally do with host packages.
> > I tried to have a standalone run of  the rpm command the
> > list_installed_packages invokes but (obviously) I got a long series of
> > errors.
>
> Below is what I meant - you could put this into some bbclass that you could
> add using INHERIT += "someclass.bbclass" in local.conf:
>
> ------------- snip --------------
> ROOTFS_POSTPROCESS_COMMAND += "do_some_packaging_stuff ; "
>
> do_some_packaging_stuff() {
>        list_installed_packages > /path/to/output/file
> }
> ------------- snip --------------
>
> Substitute list_installed_packages for a similar rpm query command to the
> one
> list_installed_packages uses.

Yes!!!! Very very simple solution (that obviously I didn't though... :| ).

> Out of interest, what information are you querying from the packaging
> system?

What I'm trying to obtain is a way to install and to query rpm packages out
from build system.
I mean, I would like to have the rpms built via bitbake/oe-core repository
and than to install them
into a specific root path without the build system support. Also, after
having installed them (or part of
them) I need to query the rpm database in case of debug.
So I started asking my questions to understand if (internally) there was a
way for querying (and it was!).
This for backword compatibility with what I'm currently managing (a
distribution totally rpm based) and
what I'm thinking to implement in next future (a distribution oe based).
For a while I would like both scenarios
will exist in parallel.
If you have other suggestions, or if you think my way to proceed is going
to a black scenario, please don't
hesitate to correct me.

> Cheers,
> Paul