[OE-core] [oe] OE-Classic recipe migration status

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli gnutoo at no-log.org
Mon Nov 19 14:56:57 UTC 2012

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 19:11:28 +0000
Paul Eggleton <paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Whilst the OE-Core-based layer landscape has grown quite a bit over
> the last year and we now have a wealth of clean and up-to-date
> recipes, I've heard a few people commenting that we've still lost
> quite a few recipes along the way. Nobody who did make that comment
> has seemed to be able to be specific about what they thought we were
> missing however, so I figured it would be worth trying to determine
> exactly which recipes are only available in OE-Classic.
>
> With the help of some scripts I've produced a list of the recipes,
> made some notes and categorised some of them. I've published the list
> on the wiki (unfortunately I had to split it into two pages since it
> was too large to put into one):
>
>  http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/OE-Classic_Recipes_A-I
>  http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/OE-Classic_Recipes_J-Z
>
> I don't know much about a lot of these recipes, so if you can help to
> fill in the gaps particularly by marking the obsolete ones as such or
> adding other comments, that would be great. Either edit the pages
> directly or make your comments here and I'll merge them.
Having the following software would be nice:
* 0xffff,0xffff-native //used for flashing the n900 and for interacting
  with the n900 NAND partition(decoding what's on an MTD partition such
  as wifi calibration, MAC address etc...)
* abiword plugins
* accelges : gesture recognition for the openmoko freerunner (gta02)
* asterisk recipes? could still be usefull...
* batctl	//for mesh networking
* batmand	//for mesh networking
* wscan,dvb*	//for looking at dvb-t, some of my devices have USB
host.
* ekiga //would be nice for VOIP
* fennec //renamed to firefox mobile?
* flashrom //could be definitely usefull to flash BIOS from embedded
  devices, I cross compiled it by hand for now, devices that have SPI
  can flash SPI BIOS chips, such as the bug 2.0 or the rasberry pi
* geoclue // could be usefull if it can uses gpsd
* gnash //usefull to see flash animations even if now there is html5
  for youtube
* gnuchess //nice chess engine but a bit too hard.
* gnumeric //should be very nice. like ooo/libreoffice calc.
* gst-ducati // would be really usefull for omap4.
* gst-player? //isn't it gst-123 or something like that in the new oe?
* intone-video //would be nice, like intone which is an efl music
  player but for video.
* irssi //nice command line IRC client.
* linphone //VOIP client, no VOIP client seem present in the new oe.
* mpd-alsa, mpc, // do we have mpd in the new oe? if so that's nice.
  what about graphical clients?
* mumudvb //would be nice, for straming dvb.
* nmap //nice for nmap -sP (for finding IP of local computers).
* openbmap-logger //same kind of softwaer than cellhunter(see below)
* privoxy //a proxy that can filter request, usefull for anonimizing
  the connection or with tor.
* sflphone-common  //is slfphone in the new oe?
* tesseract //could be usefull for making apps that uses a camera and
  recognize text?
* totem
* tor //anonymity network.
* tshark,wireshark //usefull for debugging modem protocol in some
phones.

Games(All the free games that don't require 3d if possible):
* abuse (arcade game)
* bzflag? doesn't it require 3d acceleration?
* bzflag-server? is it required for bzflag?
* cellhunter //not really a game, it's rather a tool for mapping cell
* crimsonfields
  towers with the freerunner, would be nice to have.
* freedoom // free software data (.wad) for the game named doom.
* frozen-bubble
* openttd* //train simulation
* opentryan
* rocksndiamonds
* supertux,supertux-qvga
* wordwarvi //great game
* xboard //also need a chess engine such as gnuchess or another one
* prboom  ??? //not in the list, but probably not in the newer oe
  either. doom game.

Misc comments:
* Aurora is in meta-smartphone I think.
* Eukrea uses barebox in its layers.
* We have a generic compat wireless that has almost all modules in the
  new oe.
* concierge is an osgi implementation that was used in the buglabs bug
  1.x and not used anymore in the buglabs bug 2.x
* emacs-x11 is already in the new oe, under the name of emacs(yes it
  works with X11).
* fso2-demo-image //obsolete, probably doesn't work anymore because of
zhone
* fso2-console-image //available in meta-fso
* fso-console-image //replaced by fso2-console-image
* gnuradio-image //probably in meta-ettus?
* gpsd-device-config //obsolete?
* linux-bug //kernel too old but no replacement, a 2.6.30 exist without
  display and only serial is in mainline.
* linux-leviathan //obsolete, was for htc dream but got renamed.
* lowpan-tools //seem usefull for the nanonote and it's lowpan sdio
  card. what's the status of the nanonote in the new oe? was there a
  layer somewhere on some git hosting websites?
* madwifi-ng //obsoleted by the ath5k driver
* mokonnect //obsoleted by iliwi
* msmcomm-specs, palmpre-audio-scripts  //palm pre got dropped by
freesmartphone and msmcommd was the deamon that talked to its modem
* remoko* // uses bluez3, bluetooth mouse,keyboard,etc...
  implementation.
* sms-sentry //don't work anymore, need to be updated to the new
  freesmartphone API, usefull for finding the position of your lost
  phone.
* tichy // not tested but may be really old...for the openmoko
* wesnoth-wvga // wesnoth-wvga is the equivalent of wesnoth in the new
  oe, and the old "wesnoth" is a sub wvga version, which is dropped
  upstream.
* xfce46-image,xfce-image there is an xfce image in angstrom in the
  newer oe.

Denis.