[OE-core] some simple questions/observations about package groups

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Nov 29 11:58:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 November 2012 15:27:58 Chris Larson wrote:
> > Also, to comment on something tangentially related from a different thread,
> > technically the PACKAGE_GROUP_ variables were the first to use the term as
> > far as I'm aware. *tasks* were then renamed to use that name as well, which
> > is where a bunch of the confusion probably got introduced.
>
> I did mention that:
>
> > PACKAGE_GROUP_* actually came first as a way to
> > define items for IMAGE_FEATURES that map to one or more packages, and I'm
> > not  sure the name choice was a particularly good one - I wonder if it
> > would be worth considering renaming it to something like
> > IMAGE_FEATURE_PACKAGES in order to avoid confusion, although obviously
> > every rename like this has a cost associated.

  before i forgot all of this, i lashed together this wiki page for my
own benefit so i'd have some examples to show students:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/OE_package_groups

it's admittedly in rough form and could use some polishing but it will
do for now.  feedback?  errors?  on to the next topic  ...

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca