[OE-core] Q about terminology: bitbake "fetch" vs "fetchall"

Chris Larson clarson at kergoth.com
Fri Nov 30 13:53:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:06 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at crashcourse.ca>wrote:

>   need some advice about terminology -- for the sake of describing
> this accurately, what is a good way to describe the packages
> downloaded by:
>
>   $ bitbake -c fetch
>   $ bitbake -c fetchall
>
>   for a simple "fetch", i get only this in my downloads/ directory:
>
> autoconf-2.69.tar.gz
> automake-1.12.5.tar.gz
> gnu-config-20120814.tar.bz2
> libtool-2.4.2.tar.gz
> m4-1.4.16.tar.gz
> pkg-config-0.25.tar.gz
> pseudo-1.4.1.tar.bz2
> quilt-0.60.tar.gz
> sqlite-autoconf-3071401.tar.gz
>
> while a "fetchall", of course, should fetch everything needed for the
> build of my selected recipe/image.
>
>   so what word/phrase can i use to describe what is downloaded by a
> simple "fetch"?  for the sake of docs/tutorial, of course.

Fetch runs just against the target you request it run against, whereas
fetchall runs against that and all of its dependencies. The reason
additional sources end up in downloads when using fetch is due to the up
front build of pseudo-native which is needed to do subsequent builds.
--
Christopher Larson