[OE-core] meta-cloud layer

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 17:25:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Raymond Danks <ray.danks at se-eng.com>wrote:

> On 11/30/2012 04:29 AM, David Nyström wrote:

>> meta-virtualization sounds good, let co-op on this so we don't duplicate
>> work.
>>
> Yes. Agreed.
>

>>  As far as a meta-cloud layer is concerned, I'm not sure I am
>>>>

>> Cool !
>> I know, the meta-"cloud" name is quite/too ambitious, it was not meant to
>> be a one week effort. But why aim low :).
>>
>>  I think I would encourage you to also include OpenStack in a
>>>>

>> Agree.
>>
>>  Since you've already created a presence

>>> I'd like to offer to host this combined layer (whatever we decide to
>>> call it) on git.yoctoproject.org if that would help people and people
>>> are interested. My only concern is in the area of maintainership, we
>>> need to clearly define who maintains what and what the patch submission
>>> process is in the README.
>>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sounds good to centralize everything, since Raymond is the majority code
>> contributor, perhaps he, if willing, can maintain the meta-virtualization
>> layer.
>> If you want a co/sub-maintainer I'll be happy to help out.
>>
>>  Yes.  Thanks Richard.  I was looking at some of the Yocto projects and
> the meta-ti stood out as one that might be a model for this. Would it be
> possible to configure a mailing list for meta-virtualization as well?  Once
> you've got the repo in place I'll push up what's in meta-xen.  Maybe David
> can come behind with what's in meta-cloud.  I also saw that Mihai mentioned
> having a KVM tree that might integrate.  Once we've got this setup we
> should also rename the link on the OE layers index wiki.
>
> I'm happy with a co-maintainer type setup as well.  In fact, I prefer
> that.  I've done work with the xen part of this, but kvm and openstack are
> still somewhat foreign.

And I've got some cross platform experience with all three, plus kernel
parts, so
as required, I'm still offering up my help if no one objects.

I'll send along my keys once a layer and home have been chosen.

Cheers,

Bruce

> At any rate, I'll pay closer attention to the lists as they pertain to
> this layer especially going forward.  I think this will work well to
> combine our efforts here.
>
> Ray
>

>>  Cheers,
>>>
>>> Richard

"Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await thee
at its end"