[OE-core] Profiling binaries?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Mon Oct 22 14:44:35 UTC 2012

On 10/22/12 8:49 AM, Phil Blundell wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 14:40 +0100, Richard Purdie wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 14:58 +0200, Steffen Sledz wrote:
>>> Just a short question: Does oe[-core] provide a generic method to
>>> create packages containing binaries/libraries with profiling support?
>>
>> Have a look at the section "Optimization flags" in bitbake.conf. You
>> should be able to add the -pg flag to
>> FULL_OPTIMIZATION/DEBUG_OPTIMIZATION and get what you're looking for.
>
> I think you need a bit of special handling around eglibc as well.  But
> otherwise yes, I've done basically this in the past and it seems to work
> fine.

For our environment we do:

# Add profiling optimization type
PROFILING_OPTIMIZATION = "${FULL_OPTIMIZATION} -fno-omit-frame-pointer
-fvisibility=default"
SELECTED_OPTIMIZATION[vardeps] += "PROFILING_OPTIMIZATION"

# Uncomment to enable profiling
#SELECTED_OPTIMIZATION = "${PROFILING_OPTIMIZATION}"

You can certainly add -pg to the optimization arguments as well.  As others have
said, you'll need to have the profiling libgcc/libc components if you use -pg.

But this is a simple way to make your own customized optimization.  If you want
to only enable it for one package you can do something like:

SELECTED_OPTIMIZATION_pn-<recipe> = "${PROFILING_OPTIMIZATION}"

--Mark