[OE-core] Profiling binaries?

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 22 15:08:46 UTC 2012

2012/10/22 Samuel Stirtzel <s.stirtzel at googlemail.com>:
> 2012/10/22 Steffen Sledz <sledz at dresearch-fe.de>:
>>>>

>>> Depending on your platform you could use Valgrind [1], or to be more
>>> specific Callgrind [2].
>>>
>>> The recipe is in .../openembedded-core/meta/recipes-devtools/valgrind/
>>> you can check there if your arch/platform is supported.
>>>
>>> [1] http://valgrind.org/
>>> [2] http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/cl-manual.html
>>
>> My question was more related to gcc -pg, gprof & Co.
>>

> Sorry forgot to mention that,
> you can use IMAGE_FEATURES += "dev-pkgs"

Strange copy and paste mistake, I really should take more time writing mails..

What I meant was you can add
IMAGE_FEATURES += "dbg-pkgs"
to your image, this will ship all debug packages for your installed packages.

Combined with DEBUG_OPTIMIZATION flags this works like a charm, as
Richard already noted.

Usually I am using Callgrind in connection with the graphical tool
KCachegrind [2] for profiling.
But on target profiling is very slow with Callgrind, OProfile is
"marketed" as low overhead profiler...
Didn't know about OProfile or the documentation [1], it definitely
might be worth a try.

[1] http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#platdev-oprofile
[2] http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/show.cgi/KcacheGrindIndex

--