[OE-core] What is TOOLCHAIN_NEED_CONFIGSITE_CACHE for?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Oct 29 17:45:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 10:33 -0700, Chris Larson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Richard Purdie
> <richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > We ship the "site" cache files with the toolchain. We decided to include
> > the generated cache files as well as the static ones. We currently
> > generate "site" files for libc and ncurses.
> >
> > You can almost certainly just set:
> >
> > TOOLCHAIN_NEED_CONFIGSITE_CACHE = "${TCLIBC}"
> >
> > and be happy since this just lists which generated cache site files to
> > include.
>
> Shouldn't it be pulled in via depends from the populate_sdk bits,
> rather than a task that's used both for image builds and toolchain
> builds, though?

If we turned these into packaged output then we could do this, yes. As
things stand those files aren't packaged and hence there are no
dependencies from which to infer/pull these in. Converting them to that
isn't a particularly trivial exercise.

We currently only generate them for libc/ncurses which provide most of
the configure cache speedups we'd want so it hasn't been a particularly
pressing problem to solve.

I'm all for improving this and will happily take patches but its not
something on the immediate task list as there are higher priority issues
IMO.