[OE-core] gtk+ native recipe question

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 31 22:31:44 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 31 October 2012 12:57:42 T.Michael Turney wrote:
> These package recipes were modified for reason:
> gtk+  : issue mentioned in this post, pulling in host glib

Looks like this one has already been fixed.

> orc   : bad code in examples, honestly no idea how it built on Fedora

Not sure about this one; it's not one that I build regularly myself, perhaps
someone else can shed some light but one suspects you'd need to be more
specific about the actual error.

> pango : add libxrender-native to DEPENDS_virtclass-native

libxrender(-native) does seem to be missing in DEPENDS(_virtclass-native) and
the configure script does refer to it. I suspect we haven't hit it often due to
the order of dependencies being built that themselves do have libxrender in
DEPENDS, but we still need to fix it in the pango recipe.

> perl  : change glibpth to reference Ubuntu 64-bit library paths

We've fixed a lot of perl issues since early 2011. Searching through, I think
that this was fixed in March 2011.

> soci  : added configure.in.patch to correctly set SQLITE3_DIRS, as
> with orc, no idea how this built on Fedora

soci? I can't seem to find a recipe here for that - is that a recipe you have
created?

> > So, the version in master and the danny branch (most recent stable, just
> > branched the other day) already includes this. Are you using a different
> > branch/release?
>
> We took snapshot at beginning of 2011, last commit in git tree prior
> to our mods is:
>
> af8541c1ba14f5b075f5fdf93fc7f0689656432c
> Author: Alex Ferguson <thoughtmonster at gmail.com>  2011-01-31 08:43:44
>
> I realize this somewhat limits interest in this issue, hence my original
> query to just better understand the build system and an idea of what I
> should be looking at in terms of bitbake/openembedded dependencies.

I would strongly recommend using one of the stable branches / tags rather than
just taking an arbitrary snapshot, in conjunction with an appropriate stable
release of bitbake. Do otherwise and it becomes more difficult for us to
support. FWIW, the denzil branch is the oldest branch which we actively
support now, although folks in the community are welcome to continue support
for older stable branches if they wish.

It's also worth noting that Ubuntu 12.04 wasn't released until April 2012, so
it's not surprising that you would find issues with it as a host for the
metadata that's only as up-to-date as early 2011.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton