[OE-core] PREFERRED_VERSION_virtual/..

Andreas Müller schnitzeltony at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 6 11:14:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Phil Blundell <philb at gnu.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 12:45 +0200, Andreas Müller wrote:
>> In meta-gumstix I am working on a central include-file where I can
>> switch kernel-sources/-versions at one single place.
>>
>> For this I need PREFERRED_VERSION_virtual/... working.
>>
>> Is there a specific reason why this is not implemented or would it
>> cause huge efforts to implement?
>
> Well, it's inherently meaningless: virtuals don't have any version
> number, only concrete packages do, and it's entirely possible that the
> different providers for a given virtual might have unrelated (whether or
> not intersecting) version numbering schemes.
>
> Why exactly do you want this?
>
> p.

Since I spend lot of time testing different kernels, I would like to
have a single location where I can setup which kernel-source/-version
is compiled [1] simply (this file is included by my machine
configuration [2]). Alongside I want to ensure that the
linux-glibc-headers share same version as the kernel [3].

So for my case: I have

* linux-mainline_3.2.bbappend (3.2.19)
* linux-omap_3.5.bb (3.5.0)
* linux-omap_3.6.bb (3.6.0-rc3)
* linux-sakoman_3.2.bb (3.2.0)

Without PREFERRED_VERSION_virtual/.. I cannot select between
linux-omap_3.5.bb and linux-omap_3.6.bb. OK I can use
PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-omap (as I am doing in [2] currently) but if I
select to build linux-mainline, I get complaints that there is no
linux-omap-3.2.9.

Hope that explains what I would like to have this feature...

Andreas

[1] http://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-gumstix/blobs/master/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-versions-overo.inc
[2] http://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-gumstix/blobs/master/conf/machine/overo.conf
[3] http://gitorious.org/schnitzeltony-oe-meta/meta-gumstix/blobs/master/recipes-kernel/linux-libc-headers/linux-libc-headers_git.bb