[OE-core] qemuarm: should it really have TUNE_ARCH armv5te?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 17:35:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 07:21:07PM +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 06:14:22PM +0100, Phil Blundell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-09-11 at 18:53 +0200, Martin Jansa wrote:
> > > If we drop DEFAULTTUNE from tune-xscale and tune-arm926ejs then
> > > PACKAGE_ARCH=armv5te would be the same and the same feed will be built
> > > only once.
> >
> > Well, that would also make those two tune files rather useless.  It
> > seems like it would be better to just refrain from including them if you
> > don't want the corresponding tunings.
>
> But that does not allow me to still use it for few packages if my DISTRO
> decides it's worth it.
>
> I'll test tomorrow, something like top 3 patches here:
> http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=jansa/tune

If this works then DISTRO would have finer control of which DEFAULTTUNE
to use

1) default: don't use mtune, optimize only for march (don't mix mtune in
the same feed).

2) include optimized-tune.inc in distro.conf: use mtune only for some packages, but
with separate package feed for them

3) DEFAULTTUNE = ${OPTDEFAULTTUNE} in distro.conf: always use best mtune
available for MACHINE, but unlike current default, don't mix them in
same package feed

DEFAULTTUNE = ${OPTDEFAULTTUNE} should also be used for PACKAGE_ARCH ==
MACHINE_ARCH

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com