[OE-core] building wxwidgets under oe-core

Brian Lloyd blloyd at familyhonor.net
Tue Sep 18 22:38:13 UTC 2012

Before going to the core methodology, the classic openembedded had
support for building wxwidgets.

That library is one that does not appear to have been picked back up
since the refactoring of the code, either because there wasn't much
interest or else it proved hard to do.

When I tried it myself, I found that the autotools class assumed use of
all parts of autotools, which unfortunately wxwidgets doesn't do.  It
almost looks like I would have to write a custom class (or include it
all in the wxwidgets packet/includes) that only calls configure instead
of trying to do autoreconf (as well as deleting the bakefile generated
acinclude.m4).

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fit these two systems together
smoothly in a way that is likely future change resistant?  Is making a
custom class like configure_only.bbclass a good idea?  After all, the
tar files for wxWidgets doesn't have the issues that the forced
autoreconf is trying to avoid but the attempt to fix the issue is
bringing in all sorts of added files/dependencies required.  Or is there
a way to use the autotools class which will ensure the hack code does
not fire?

Of course, if someone has already made this work and it's somewhere I
missed, a pointer to where it is would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Lloyd