[OE-core] Does support for external toolchains working in current OE?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Apr 5 09:54:18 UTC 2013

On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 11:20 +0200, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> For last few months I am working on fixing Linaro binary cross
> toolchains and their support in OpenEmbedded. Got to point when they
> work (both AArch64 and ARMv7a ones) for single packages but problem
> starts when I want to create image...
>
> 11:14 hrw at puchatek:build$ bitbake core-image-minimal -g
> Parsing of 1302 .bb files complete (1294 cached, 8 parsed). 1670 targets, 45 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
> NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
> NOTE: multiple providers are available for virtual/gettext (proxy-libintl, gettext)
> NOTE: consider defining a PREFERRED_PROVIDER entry to match virtual/gettext
> NOTE: Preparing runqueue
> ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide virtual/libc (/home/hrw/HDD/devel/canonical/aarch64/openembedded/repos/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/eglibc/eglibc_2.17.bb /home/hrw/HDD/devel/canonical/aarch64/openembedded/repos/meta-linaro/meta-linaro-toolchain/recipes-devtools/external-linaro-toolchain/external-linaro-toolchain.bb).
>  This usually means one provides something the other doesn't and should.
> ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide virtual/arm-linux-gnueabihf-libc-for-gcc (/home/hrw/HDD/devel/canonical/aarch64/openembedded/repos/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/eglibc/eglibc_2.17.bb /home/hrw/HDD/devel/canonical/aarch64/openembedded/repos/meta-linaro/meta-linaro-toolchain/recipes-devtools/external-linaro-toolchain/external-linaro-toolchain.bb).
>  This usually means one provides something the other doesn't and should.
> ERROR: Multiple .bb files are due to be built which each provide virtual/libiconv (/home/hrw/HDD/devel/canonical/aarch64/openembedded/repos/openembedded-core/meta/recipes-core/eglibc/eglibc_2.17.bb /home/hrw/HDD/devel/canonical/aarch64/openembedded/repos/meta-linaro/meta-linaro-toolchain/recipes-devtools/external-linaro-toolchain/external-linaro-toolchain.bb).
>  This usually means one provides something the other doesn't and should.
> NOTE: PN build list saved to 'pn-buildlist'
> NOTE: PN dependencies saved to 'pn-depends.dot'
> NOTE: Package dependencies saved to 'package-depends.dot'
> NOTE: Task dependencies saved to 'task-depends.dot'

> All three virtual/ are provided by external-linaro-toolchain recipe...
>
> Is there any external toolchain which allows to create image with current
> OpenEmbedded layers?
>
> TCMODE="external-sourcery" gives exactly same problem.

This means that virtual/libc is providing something which the external
toolchain recipes are not. Can you share the "bitbake -DDDv" output for
the above command somewhere (I know there will be a lot of it). Buried
somewhere in there will be the answer as it does tell you what is going
on if you search for the right things.