[OE-core] Does support for external toolchains working in current OE?

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 21:20:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 05, 2013 at 11:20:44AM +0200, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> For last few months I am working on fixing Linaro binary cross
> toolchains and their support in OpenEmbedded. Got to point when they
> work (both AArch64 and ARMv7a ones) for single packages but problem
> starts when I want to create image...

Today I got different king of issue with external toolchain.

systemd is using AC_PATH_TOOL(OBJCOPY, objcopy)
but host prefix in OE is not the same as in binary toolchain (different TARGET_VENDOR)
so it looks for configure:14545: checking for arm-foo-linux-gnueabi-objcopy
while binary toolchain has only               arm-bar-linux-gnueabi-objcopy

and because arm-foo-linux-gnueabi-objcopy wasn't found it continues:
configure:14588: checking for objcopy
configure:14606: found /usr/bin/objcopy
and bam a lot later when it tries objcopy from host on some arm lib

Interesting that systemd is first recipe in our image where I've noticed
issues like this

Any idea how to easily resolve this without checking every configure.ac
how it's looking for e.g. objcopy?