[OE-core] bitbake "fetch" vs "fetchall" vs something in between?

Richard Purdie richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Apr 9 22:07:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-04-09 at 10:40 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   (if there's a simple answer to this, just point me at the URL and
> i'll be happy, thanks.)
>
>   for the purpose of documenting the various steps in a build, i'm
> summarizing the difference between bitbake commands "fetch" and
> "fetchall", and it strikes me that it would be useful if there was
> something in between.
>
>   as an example, say i want to build a core-image-minimal for qemuarm
> (i'm deliberately picking a non-x86 target just to ensure there's no
> confusion between what is built natively and what is built for the
> target.)
>
>   if i start with:
>
> $ bitbake -c fetch core-image-minimal
>
> i get the following downloads:
>
> autoconf-2.69.tar.gz
> automake-1.12.6.tar.gz
> gnu-config-20120814.tar.bz2
> libtool-2.4.2.tar.gz
> m4-1.4.16.tar.gz
> pkg-config-0.25.tar.gz
> pseudo-1.5.1.tar.bz2
> quilt-0.60.tar.gz
> sqlite-autoconf-3071502.tar.gz

This looks like it built pseudo-native (which the wrapper script always
does first), then tried to fetch core-image-minimal which is a null
operation as SRC_URI for core-image-minimal is empty.

> $ bitbake -c fetchall core-image-minimal
>
> however, what this does is download not only all the remaining source
> to be configured and built *natively*, but for the target as well.
> what would be useful (unless it exists already, of course) would be a
> command that represents building the entire native sysroot with no
> regard whatever to what will be needed for the target.
>
>   am i missing the simple incantation that would do that?

How and when would you use such a command?

"bitbake packagegroup-toolset-native -c fetchall"

might just do it even if I'm not sure why you'd want to.