[OE-core] RFC: gstreamer 1.0 recipes

Carlos Rafael Giani dv at pseudoterminal.org
Mon Apr 15 01:21:17 UTC 2013

> I've been meaning to ask the same questions, since I need both orc and external libav to make gstreamer  (0.10, but still) useable on my platforms. I came up with the following ideas:
>
> 1) Make every external dep a PACKAGECONFIG option in OE-core gstreamer
> 2) Add bbappends with extra PACKAGECONFIG options for gstreamer in the layer that has the external dep
> 3) add bbappens in the DISTRO layer that enables extra external dependencies.
>
> Angstrom is currently using 3) and I absolutely hate it. 2) is scales a lot better, but apparently is verboten judging from the patches sent that remove the qt bbappends that do the same.
> Which leaves 1), which will cause problems for most users, since they will spot the PACKAGECONFIG options but not bother to read the comments saying they need to enable extra layers.
>
> I favour 1) since that has all the knowledge in a single place, looked after by the OE gst maintainer (which we don't have yet, but still).
>
> regards,
>
> Koen

I have implemented option 1) now. It could be better in the -bad recipe,
which contains a lot of --disable-XYZ switches. I am thinking of a patch
to make external dependencies opt-in instead of opt-out.
But, all the external dependencies with known existing recipes have a
packageconfig now. This includes orc and yasm.

cheers,
Carlos