[OE-core] tweaking insane.bbclass to handle MIPS SEAD-3?

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Thu Apr 18 14:08:31 UTC 2013

>    students from a class of mine last year are currently playing with a
> MIPS SEAD-3:
>
> http://www.mips.com/products/development-kits/mips-sead-3/
>
> and asked for some assistance getting oe/yocto to build for that kit.
> they started with the routerstation pro content, and just wanted to
> reproduce the same rootfs to run on the SEAD-3 (they would use the
> provided u-boot and kernel for now). the biggest issue was changing
> the endianness of the build.
>
>    got an email this morning, they have a working rootfs, i asked for
> details on everything they had to do, but for now, here's the final
> issue they dealt with:
>
> "Attached rootfs created for RS Pro, but with mips32el (little endian
> config) and soft floating point. I had to comment out the endianess
> check Python code from the insane.bbclass file to get the build to
> work."

I'm interested in what changes are required.  Both mips and mipsel are defined
in the insane class.  If you define 'mips', but end up building little endian,
you WILL get errors.  But if the arch is defined as mipsel, then no errors
should be generated.

If the arch is 'mips32' and 'mips32el' then those are simply not defined at this
point.  But before defining them, what is the difference between mips and mips32?

(I have no experience with this particular board, so I don't know what the
actual gcc configuration is for building functional software.)