[OE-core] tweaking insane.bbclass to handle MIPS SEAD-3?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 18 15:44:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013, Mark Hatle wrote:

> On 4/18/13 9:25 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

... snip ...

> > DEFAULTTUNE ?= "mips32"
> >
> > require conf/machine/include/mips/arch-mips.inc
> >
> > TUNEVALID[mips32] = "Enable mips32 specific processor optimizations"
> > TUNECONFLICTS[mips32] = "n64 n32"
> > TUNE_CCARGS += "${@bb.utils.contains("TUNE_FEATURES", "mips32",
> > "-march=mips32", "", d)}"
> >
> > AVAILTUNES += "mips32 mips32el mips32-nf mips32el-nf"
> >
> >    so, off the top of my head, i suggested adding to local.conf:
> >
> > DEFAULTTUNE := "mips32el"
>
> A quick look at master says that that should be fine.  It will result in:
>
> TUNE_FEATURES = "o32 fpu-hard mips32"
> BASE_LIB = "lib"
> TUNE_ARCH = "mipsel"
> TUNE_PKGARCH = "mips32el"
> PACKAGE_EXTRA_ARCHS = "mipsel mips32el"
>
> Changing the tune to "mips32el-nf", will result in a mips32 little
> endian, soft-float system.  And there should be no sanity or other
> failures.
>
> (Note, the difference between 'mips' and 'mips32' is use of -march=mips32.)
>
> > since that's listed as one of the "AVAILTUNES", but i was just
> > guessing. from what i heard, that *partly* solved the problem but
> > the rest of the solution is what you read above.
> >
> >    i can easily ask them to try a different recipe, they're all
> > set up to build and test a rootfs. what *would* have been the
> > right approach?
>
> If the tuning is set right, then everything else should "just work".
> They can do the DEFAULTTUNE setting in their local.conf, but it's
> better to do it in their machine.conf file.  (Style vs required.)
>
> They can verify the settings using 'bitbake -e' and looking for the
> CC flags, and other related items to make sure they are right for
> this system.

  so if i read you correctly, all i need to do is copy the existing
routerstationpro.conf to, say, sead3.conf, and add the single line:

DEFAULTTUNE := "mips32el-nf"         <--- add that
require conf/machine/include/tune-mips32.inc

  that about right? i'll give that a shot right away just to see if it
builds.  can't test it without the kit but building will still be a
useful exercise.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca