[OE-core] postinst questions (was postinst does not finish)

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Apr 24 13:21:07 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 24 April 2013 14:04:39 Andreas Müller wrote:
> as written before: an 'exit 1' within recipe's postinst causes
> trouble. E.g meta-oe's lxdm does not run systemd.bbclass' code which
> leaves lxdm in unprepared condition causing start too early and ending
> in unfinished postinstall.

I think the way forward with this is to avoid doing this at all - let's try to
get as many of these postinstalls working on the host. Looking at the
postinstall in the lxdm recipe in meta-oe, I can't see anything that couldn't
work on the host - $D would just be needed in front of ${libdir} and
${localstatedir}.

> A simple workaround for this (we should think of something else later)
> would be to prepend postinst code within systemd.bbclass (and maybe
> others too) instead of appending. Hereby we ensure that the code is
> executed independent of recipe's code. First question: Any objections?

As long as there's no reliance within systemd.bbclass upon anything that a
recipe's custom postinstall might be doing - this could be problematic for
example if the custom postinstall were configuring a service which would be
automatically started as a result of the systemd postinstall (not sure if this
is how this ends up operating without trying it, but you get the idea.)

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton